The inn, known by the name and sign of the Acorn, was built in 1748, but incorporated into a much older dwelling. That dwelling house dates back to the late 1400's when it was a tied cottage belonging to the estate of Edward Cotone. Early occupants are unrecorded but in 1500 "Joseph Quested, woollen draypa" was in residence, along with his wife Martha and five children. The house stayed in the Cotone family for the remainder of the 16th century, who seem to have held title to it long after they ceased to live there. In 1611 it was occupied by Widow Lambe, a milliner who paid a peppercorn rent to Charles Henry Cotone, landowner of Birchington.
Some years later the house was acquired by Isaac Oliphant, a brewer of Birchington. He lived in the house for some time, probably brewing home made beverages, but by 1748 the building had been extended considerably. In that same year a licence to sell ales from the premises was granted, under the name of "The Acorn Ale House".
In 1838 the Acorn was bought by Edward Neame, farmer and brewer and member of the Neame Brewery family who lived in Birchington. Edward Neame ran the house until 1866 by which time the breweries of Shepherd and Neame had merged and the Acorn was in their control. The Acorn remained under the brewery's management until 2000 at which time it became a Free House. The inn was then completely refurbished with the addition of a new kitchen and 40-seater restaurant dining area, becoming a popular local venue for a drink or meal.
In 2016 the bar area of the Acorn was redeveloped into a beautiful two bedroom holiday apartment while the remainder became a private residence.